Sunday, September 26, 2010

The First Six Week Grading Period

     Some passages of time go quickly, yet others drag on slowly without an end in sight. I have found that entertainment level is a large factor as to the speed of the passing time, yet how can one judge entertainment in life? There are so many instances where boredom is the supreme ruler, only to be dethroned by laughter as an awkward word slips from a teacher's mouth. But what happens when the laughter fades? Is boredom once again king?
     Saddened as I am that school is in session once again, mainly because that means I am no longer free to lounge and must now worry about homework, grades, and college, I find myself almost enjoying school. For me, this is something astounding that I never thought would happen. School as a place of enjoyment and recreation? Completely false. And yet, as I go through my day excited for my next class, I realize there is a bit of happiness in each day.    

     I am taking AP Economics, AP English Literature and Composition, Teacher's Aide for the Career Center, AP Statistics, and Advanced Band. Next semester I will have AP Government in place of the Teacher's Aide position. Along with these classes I have a weekend job, numerous commitments to the school band after and before school and on weekends, taekwondo, training sessions with the explorer program, gym workouts, and meetings with my recruiter for the Corps. I have now also added the school play to my lengthy schedule. Provided I do not need to sleep or spend time with family and friends, this works out nicely.
     And yet, because I have taken all of this under my wing, in the span of a few short weeks (six to be precise) I have gotten sick, sprained my ankle, and been so utterly sleep deprived I have had to take a sick day. I have also been academically accepted into the Citadel, the Military College of South Carolina, started applying for an NROTC scholarship that if I better my physical fitness scores will almost surely receive, and started a few other college applications.

No comments:

Post a Comment