Sunday, October 3, 2010

Feminism

     It seems almost cliche that I would choose feminist literary criticism as my lens in which I will read Hamlet, being that I am both female and a bit of a feminist.
     Feminist literary criticism is a way of interpreting texts through the ways that women are referenced--what is said about them by male and female characters, what they say, what they do, how they are portrayed in general, and the differences in the treatment of the male and female characters. Though there is much more to this type of criticism, I shall use its unreferencede nuances to further my understanding of the reading and bring a new perspective to my classmates who will read the text through a different light.
     Without much prior knowledge of the generalities of the play, I must say that I am a little worried as to how I will accomplish the task of reading the play through the feminist perspective; there are only two female characters and I already know that one of them dies. I suppose this is where the nuances come into play, yes?

No comments:

Post a Comment